Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fall on the Farm


So I got a little carried away with decorating both sides of the farm sign this year.


But two dump truck loads of mulch, 6 straw bales, 4 corn bundles, 4 mums, 15 yards of ribbon and 16 pumpkins later, I am pleased with my work.


But don't blink because it didn't last long.

First, five inches of snow smashed and threatened to kill my mums.

Then, I forgot to water the mums.

At all.

Okay, I didn't forget, I'm just lazy.

Then, the deer made off with my pumpkins and scattered them in the field.


Awesome.


Thanks buttheads.

That's alright. Let them have their fun now. Those poor guys only have a couple more weeks to live anyway.

That's when the camo-clad gun-toting rednecks start coming out in full force.

AKA: my husband and his hunting buddies on opening day of gun season.


And I have no idea what this is all about, but it's disgusting.

So basically the sign no longer looks anything like the picture above.

But, my sign decorating disaster aside, the rest of the farm is gorgeous right now.


The bright green sod fields with the backdrop of the corn fields, sprinkled in with some fall foliage is enough to make anyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside.


Thank goodness my husband is better at growing things than I am at decorating.



He's quite proud of his latest turf fields.

He just planted this grass less than two months ago and it's already thick, lush and beautiful.


It takes a special tree to grow in the middle of one of the sod fields and be allowed to live to see another day.


Luckily for this guy, he's a Sycamore and my husband has a slight obsession with Sycamores.

Trust me, he's no tree hugger.

He cleared 125 acres of trees to make room for more pastures and crop ground a couple of years ago. And only a few lucky Sycamores survived.


Something about the fact that they grow where there is water.

So don't be surprised if you show up someday and those Sycamores have been replaced by wells and irrigation.

They basically serve as a marking point for the time being.


But in the meantime, they do a better job of decorating the farm in fall colors than I do.

I give up.

But at least the farm office looks warm and festive:




Alright, alright, I'm just kidding.

That's from last year.

I dragged the fall decorations box out and that's all the further I've gotten so far.

And that was two weeks ago.

No comments: