Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Back in the Game

 
I came out of my semi-retirement last week to cover the election.
 
By semi-retirement, I mean I still do some TV work. I host a daily segment at a local ABC affiliate but I get to go in just once a week or so and tape several segments at once. So basically people think I work full-time because they see me on TV everyday, but really I just work once a week.
 
Smoke and mirrors, people, smoke and mirrors.
 
Best. Job. Ever.
 
 
But last week I went to Boston to help my good pal Ted cover Mitt Romney on election night.

 
He's a Washington correspondent for a group of stations that includes my old New York station.

 
We headed to town a day early to cover all of the election day preps going on.

 
It's amazing the sets they build for these one-time events.

 
We spent the majority of our time in the Press Filing Center where we could monitor election returns and edit video.

 
Just look for the copious amounts of caffeine and junk food and you'll find my workspace.

 
Oh yeah, fried food too.
 
Ted shares in my obsession of toxic foods.

 
I always thought this is what I would end up doing someday.
 
I got degrees in broadcast journalism and political science with the intention of being a political reporter.
 
And for a while, I was... reporting in two state capitals and as a Washington correspondent.

 
And for a brief moment I missed the hustle and bustle of it all.
 
Then I came to my freakin' senses.
 
I slapped myself in the face and reminded myself of how bad your social life sucks when you are in the media full-time.
 
I remembered all of the holidays I missed, weddings I couldn't go to and vacations I didn't take.
 
 But who knows, I'm a glutton for punishment, I may go back someday.
 
 

No comments: