Tuesday, March 29, 2011

All Aboard

To say I have an aversion to flying would be a gross understatement.

To say that you have to either liquor me up or knock me out before a flight would be a little more accurate. (I actually read in Time magazine that airport bars are busier than ever thanks to aerophobia.)

But my fear of and hatred for flying is something that not even Xanax could contend with.

So now that I have a little extra time on my hands, I thought I would try out a new mode of transportation.

I took a train to Minnesota this past weekend for my friend Molly's wedding.


And from the quaint train stations....



... to the conductors in their adorable little get-ups, complete with hat and pocket watch, I would say I have a new obsession.

I never knew how amazing train travel was.


I can't even explain how excited I was to try out the train.


I even got a new carry-on bag to celebrate the occasion.


And I loaded my eReader with a bunch of new books for the trip.


 I love this thing.


And I love its dictionary function even more... because I really need it.

I would say I'm not as smart as I look but I'm pretty sure I don't even look very smart. Therefore, dictionaries are good for dumb people like me.



I have decided that Amtrak is one of the best ways to see America. Trains go where roads don't. The views were amazing.


If you can get past the sticker-shock of what it costs to upgrade to your own private room on a train, I recommend trying it.

Not only is the privacy nice but you get a personal attendant.

I always knew this was the life I was meant to have.

When I got back from dinner on the dining car, he had turned down my bed.


When I went to breakfast in the morning, the stealth steward had snuck in and disassembled the sleeping quarters and made it back into reclining seats.


And this trip totally catered to my laziness.

My little room had outlets to plug in my computer and watch movies. And there was "room service" where the attendant would take my order and bring me my meals if I didn't feel like going to the dining car. I woke up to fresh coffee brewing next to my room, and a morning paper slid under my door.


If only my little dog was allowed on trains like he is on planes, I would be sold.


On an unrelated side note: If you ever stay at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Minneapolis, they have quite the commode accommodations ... complete with a telephone.

Apparently, you can now do business while doing your business.

No comments: